Saturday, July 12, 2014

60IN60 Day 6 - Sat Jul 12

It's Day 6 and we're in Matthew 20.

Where God Spoke To Me:
- Verse 34 - How often am I "moved with compassion"?

Help:
- Verses 1-16 - Two possible interpretations: a. This refers to the opening door for the Gentiles to come into the Kingdom after it'd been just the Jews for so long; b. It refers to those who are saved late in life and have little time to serve God.
- Verses 22-23 - They would die for the Kingdom, but that authority had already been granted.

If you want to read the chapter online, here's a link.

If you have a question or comment, email me at butcher@ymail.com.

Your Comments and Questions:
- Matthew 19:28 - "Another judgement? This time for the Jews?" - Some see this as happening during the Millenium; others believe that there is a definite Jewish element to the New Jerusalem/New Earth final era.
- "More a general (and frequent) random thought than a connection to today's reading, but it bothers me that I don't know whether or not I am bearing fruit. And I wonder if I am the only one wondering?" - That's a great question. That actually would make a great sermon series because it's an important subject and there's a lot to say on it. I'll get to work writing that.
- "I'm finding my brain taking an interesting trip down the railroad tracks while reading the paragraph about cutting off a limb that causes us to stumble. I'll try to explain it concisely. When applying this to people/environments in our lives, I read it as if someone in your life is causing you to stumble, you shouldn't be spending time with him/her. However, we're also called to be a light, a witness, to Christ. So it makes me think that new Christians, who one would think have less willpower or whatever it is, should focus more on themselves and strengthening their bond w/ Christ and start spending less/no time with people who may cause slip ups. But then, once the Holy Spirit is firmly grounded in them, then they could begin witnessing and maybe spending time with people and in environments that were previously unhealthy.  In my 20s, I did a lot of "clubbing." I went to bars/clubs, drank too much, and engaged in behavior far from Christian. I wasn't able to go to church b/c I felt so convicted about my behavior. When I rededicated my life to Christ, I was no longer able to go to clubs...I felt Christ's Spirit SO strongly it almost made me ill to be in that environment. Several years later, I went to a friend's birthday party at a club. Most of us there (our party was all women) were Christians. Yes, some of the women drank too much, but overall, we had a great time, didn't dance or dress provocatively, and really enjoyed ourselves. I was much more rooted in the Word at that time, so I think that's why I was able to be there and yet still be appropriate. Just some random thoughts. :-)"

No comments:

Post a Comment