It's Day 17 and we're in Genesis 25.
One thing that's important as we read daily: being eager to hear Him speak to you. Go into your reading expectant that God desires to share something with you.
Where God Spoke To Me:
- Verse 6 - The fact that Abraham had concubines is an uncomfortable truth. It's one to wrestle with.
- Verse 6 - Given the larger life story of Abraham, we presume that these concubines were later in his life.
- Verse 7 - Back then people lived longer.
- Verse 21 - This is not to say that God's hand is usually the deciding factor in such things. Given what we read in v. 26, this is an unusual situation with implications for what God is doing in bringing about Israel. I believe that, normally, fertility issues are not specifically driven by the hand of God.
- Verse 22 - "If it is so" - She's saying, "If this is from God, then why the struggling within me?"
- Verse 28 - Remember that not everything the Bible describes is approved by God. A lot of the behavior of the "heroes of the faith" is sinful. Here, this idea of playing favorites among the children is a recipe for disaster, which is exactly what they get.
- Verses 31-34 - Esau was obviously someone who didn't think through the implications of his decisions.
If you want to read the chapter online, here's a link.
If you have a question or comment, email me at email@example.com.