It's Day 13 and we're in Genesis 42.
Where God Spoke To Me:
- Verse 24 - He is moved by their sorrow, but not enough to forgive.
- Verse 4 - Yes, Jacob is showing favoritism again and that is bad parenting. The Bible describes what Jacob does but that doesn't mean it endorses it.
- Verses 7-17 - I think this comes from Joseph's resentment over how he was treated. Some think Joseph is more mature than that and this is just a little drama, but I think Joseph still had hard feelings.
- Verse 28 - They were concerned they'd be accused of stealing.
- Verse 37 - Offering two sons as a bounty had to do with the honor system they had back then.
- Verse 38 - Yes, Jacob is playing favorites.
If you want to read the chapter online, here's a link.
If you have a question or comment, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your Questions and Comments:
- "Genesis 40 - The scriptures do not say why the chief baker was killed. Did it have something to do with Pharoah's birthday (like when John the Baptist was beheaded)? It was obviously a fulfillment of Joseph's interpretation, so is that the reason?" - We are not told what the baker had done to deserve to be in prison. His death, though, was not because of the vision of Joseph. Joseph's vision simply predicted what was going to happen. Presumably, the baker had done something worthy of the punishment and that sentence was carried out. (Given his position, it seems likely it might have been something like trying to poison the Pharaoh with his food.)