It's Day 25 and we're in Jonah 1.
Where God Spoke To Me:
- Verse 3 - Why did Jonah run away? Because the Ninevites were enemies of Israel and he didn't want to go preach to them and give them the chance for mercy. It's sobering to know that God loves everyone - even my enemies.
- Verse 2 - "come up before me" - That means that the accumulated weight of their sin had reached a place where it demanded action. It wasn't that God wasn't paying attention before that or was unaware before that.
- Verse 5 - "asleep" - This could be because he's so exhausted because of the stress of the event or it could be that he is at peace about running away from God and finds sleep easy.
- Verse 7 - "lots" - God obviously doesn't always influence the outcome of such things, but in this situation, He spoke to the sailors through something they could understand.
- Verses 8-10 - They believed in provincial gods - gods that had a limited scope of power. When they heard Jonah say that his God was the God of the sea, they knew why the storm had happened.
If you want to read the chapter online, here's a link.
If you have a question or comment, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.