It's Day 24 and we're in John 9.As you read, listen for where God wants to speak to you. What jumps out to you? What speaks to situations you're dealing with right now?
Where God Spoke To Me:
- Verse 16 - The inability to see what was right in front of them is amazing. It's so easy to get focused on the way that we think God is required to act (according to the rules we've made up for Him in our religion) and miss out on things He's doing that are outside that.
- Verses 2-3 - It was widely taught by the Jewish leaders that all tragedy came directly from the sin of that person (or maybe their parents). Jesus denies that idea.
- Verses 6-7 - Why did Jesus do the healing this way? We don't know. He does healings in different ways: sometimes instantaneous, sometimes having someone go wash in a pool, sometimes total, sometimes in stages, sometimes publicly, sometimes privately. The main thing I draw out of that is that Jesus works His miracles differently in different situations. That means the miracle that He does in your life today is not necessarily the way He's going to do a miracle in my life tomorrow.
- Verse 34 - Again, the Jewish leaders presume that this man had to be a terrible sinner because he had been blind. They believed his sin (or his parent's sin) had caused it. Jesus denied that idea.
- Verse 39 - What does this mean? He saying, "I've come into the world so that those who think they can see - I'm looking at you, religious leaders - will discover their actually spiritually blind, and I've come that those who know they're spiritually blind - like the tax collectors and prostitutes - will have a chance to gain spiritual sight."
If you want to read the chapter online, here's a link.
If you have a question or comment, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.