Tuesday, January 17, 2017

60IN60 Day 16 - Tues Jan 17

It's Day 16 and we're in Acts 19.

Where God Spoke To Me:
- Verses 24-28 - So often (as here) what we consider "truth" is defined by our wallets.

Help:
- Verses 1-7 - This is an unusual situation that occurred because of the "in-between" nature of the time described in Acts. It's not something that would happen today.
- Verses 9, 23 - "the Way" - This was a main way that Christians referred to themselves back then. I really don't know why we don't use it more today - it's a good description.
- Verse 10 - This seems to mean that because Ephesus was a major hub for that area many people coming through there heard Paul and then took the message back to their hometowns, thus spreading the gospel.

If you want to read the chapter online, here's a link.

If you have a question or comment, email me at butcher@ymail.com.


Your Comments and Questions:
- "Our pastor has been preaching from Acts for several months now. Yesterday the sermon was based on Jesus wanting us to give Him our all, everything we have. But at one point he was talking about Jews for Jesus because he has been on the board for 30 years. He said that many Christian denominations actually believe we are not called to point Jews to Christ. In verse 6 of today's reading I wonder if that is their basis. I know Paul was frustrated there and later he continued teaching and trying to persuade the Jews. Thoughts?

I used to attend a Bible study at our church, and the guy who let it was very legalistic. I remember him telling guys often that they should cut their hair because having long hair is not biblical. I'm sure this passage is what he used to make that judgement.

I like your notes on verse 26. I was thinking the same thing as I read it. I often pray my students in Sunday School to have open hearts and minds, but I need to remember to do the same thing myself." - I think that verse 6 might be twisted into a prooftext for those thoughts, but that would be very weak ground on which to stand.  That verse clearly is speaking to a specific situation and not a broad command.

No comments:

Post a Comment