Thursday, January 10, 2013

60IN60 Day 4 - Thurs Jan 10

It's Day 4 and we're in John 4.

Where God Spoke To Me:
- Verse 14 - "a well of water springing up to eternal life" - Nice image - I like the idea of God being within us and flowing out of us.
- Verse 34 - Is that what satisfies me?

Help:
- Verses 48, 50 - Jesus speaks those challenging words in verse 48, but then the man shows that he is willing to take Jesus by faith (and not by signs) by walking away without having seen the miracle.

If you want to read the chapter online, here's a link.

If you have a question or comment, email me at butcher@ymail.com.

Questions You All Shared:
- "Is simple belief enough? Seems to me repentance is what really generates the new birth. Of course you won't repent if you don't believe, but many claim belief, and even salvation, but still continue without any change in their behavior." - Great question.  I think it all comes back to the way we understand the word "belief."  I think a lot of people today define "believe" as saying out loud "I believe Jesus is the Son of God who died for my sins" and that saying I "believe" that makes me a Christian.  But then nothing changes in their lives.  I would argue that believing in Jesus means that believing in what He taught and then doing what He said to do.  If you tell me the building is on fire and I say I believe you but I don't flee the building, is that real belief or just empty words?  One of those essential teachings (in fact, one of His primary messages) was "repent."  But I also need to pursue obeying all of His teaching because I believe in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment