Friday, November 29, 2013

60IN60 Day 26 - Fri Nov 29

It's Day 29 and we're in John 11.

One reason to be in the Bible regularly? It helps you avoid nonsense. There are so many different ideas out there today about God. It's important that we base our image of God on who He said He is, not what other people wish He was.

Where God Spoke To Me:
- Verse 5 - He loved them.  Not "He put up with them," but He loved them.  For some reason that just kind of hit me anew: that He doesn't just put up with us - He loves us.

Help:
- Verse 26 - He means that we will never die spiritually.

If you want to read the chapter online, here's a link.

If you have a question or comment, email me at butcher@ymail.com.

Your Comments and Questions:

- John 10:34 - In regard to this verse, Barclay says that this verse is a particularly Jewish argument which makes it difficult for us to understand today.  He says that Jesus was quoting Psalm 82:6 (as does my study Bible).  "That psalm is a warning to unjust judges to cease from unjust ways and defend the poor and the innocent.  The appeal concludes: "I say, 'You are gods, sons of the Most High, all of you.' "  The judge is commissioned by God to be god to men.  This idea comes out very clearly in certain of the regulations in Exodus.  Exodus 21:1-6 tells how the Hebrew servant may go free in the seventh year.  As the Authorized Version has it, verse 6 says "Then the master shall bring him unto the judges."  But in Hebrew, the word which is translated judges is actually elohim, which means gods.  The same form of expression is used in Exodus 22:9, 28.  Even scripture said of men who were specially commissioned to some task by God that they were gods.  So Jesus said:  "If scripture can speak like that about men, why should I not speak so about myself?"
    Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing these things unless you have access to original manuscripts and can translate from Hebrew and Greek, or you have access to reference materials.
- The study aids I am using say that the edicts of the King cannot ever be countermanded......even by the King himself.  So the King had to come up with someway to get around his order.  He did this by allowing the Jews to defend themselves.......At least that is what my references said on this issue.
 
-
For how can I endure to see the calamity which will befall my people, and how can I endure to see the destruction of my kindred?
It has been hard on me to read Esther one chapter at a time, as it's one of my favorite passages.  I had underlined this verse at a previous reading.  And this, I believe is what the whole story is about.  It says to me that I am where God wants me to be for such a time as this.  He is saying to all His children, care enough about the sphere of influence you occupy to tell them about Christ!

- John 10:10. I've always been frustrated by prosperity gospel pastors who use this verse as an excuse/permission to live an excessively lavish lifestyle...and claim that is what God wants for all of us if we just pray hard enough. I learned several years ago that there are two Greek words for "abundance". One means material and one means spiritual. The one used in this verse is spiritual.

- Verse 34. I don't find it obscure. The Pharisees thought they knew "it all," and they were as close to perfection as humans could get. I think in Psalm 82:1, 5, & 6, Asaph is telling the listener that they think they know everything, when in fact, they know nothing. In verse 34, Jesus is referring to 82:6 and telling the Pharisees the same thing. "You all think you're gods, when in fact, you apparently couldn't recognize God if He was standing in front of you." :-)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment