It's Day 4 and we're in Luke 4.Where God Spoke To Me:
- Verses 18-19 - This is His mission statement. Its focus is on the hurting and the weak.
- Verse 2 - This was apparently a supernaturally-empowered fast, because you normally can't go that long without food.
- Verse 22 - Apparently Jesus didn't show signs earlier in His life of someone who would obviously go on to be a leader like this.
- Verses 23-30 - They get angry because He basically says that God would rather work through foreigners than through them.
If you want to read the chapter online, here's a link.
If you have a question or comment, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your Questions and Comments:
- "This verse [Luke 2:33] says that Mary and Joseph were amazed at the things that were being said about Jesus. Did they still not fully understand who He was? Or were they just surprised that total strangers spoke of Jesus' identity?" - I think both were part of the situation. While they had the little bit of information that the angel had told them, that put them nowhere close to understanding the full reality of who Jesus was and what His mission was. Secondly, they were amazed that strangers (in this case, Simeon) had also received a word from God about their child. It is much easier for us to look back after the crucifixion and resurrection and see the whole picture, but they had very limited information to go on at that point.