Tuesday, December 24, 2013

60IN60 Day 51 - Tues Dec 24

It's Day 51 and we're in 1 Peter 4.

Where God Spoke To Me:
- Nothing really jumped out to me today.

Help:
- Verse 1 - This is not saying that suffering means that we're not sinning at all, but rather that going through trials and suffering will move us closer to Christlikeness.
- Verse 6 - Most likely means "those who are now dead."  That is, those who've heard the gospel and gone on to eternity.
- Verses 13-16 - We don't want suffering for the sake of suffering, but when we suffer in Christ's name, there is a sense in which it's an honor to go through that for the glory of Jesus.
- Verses 17-18 - Judgment begins with the house of God.  He expects us to live to a higher standard.

If you want to read the chapter online, here's a link.

If you have a question or comment, email me at butcher@ymail.com.

Your Thoughts And Questions:

- "The best explanation I'v seen or heard of "submission" by wives is in the book "Love That Lasts" by Gary and Betsy Ricucci: "...why do we assume that a wife's submission to her husband suggests inferiority? Because we don't understand what the roles mean to God. To God, a role is never a measure of someone's value. It is an expression of divine expression and wisdom...the Father and the Son are perfectly equal. But they are in different roles! Roles are simply not a measure of superiority or inferiority. They are a means God uses to accomplish His purposes...And so it is in marriage: men and women are completely equal in value and importance, but they fulfill unique roles...To submit with joy to our husbands is to be like Christ, who submits joyfully to the Father.""

- "Also, question about 1 Peter 3:21. In the NIV, it says, "baptism that now saves you also." As a kid, I went to a church that "sprinkled" babies and called it baptism. As an adult, I came to understand that baptism is an outward expression of an inward change, and so it really should only be done to a person who has made a conscious decision to accept Christ as Savior. However, I also have understood that baptism doesn't SAVE me; only accepting Christ can give me salvation. I had a discussion about this very thing last night on FB w/ a friend who belongs to the Church of Christ. She said they believe that you have to be baptized to be saved. I've never believed that (though I know Catholics believe that too), but then I read this verse today. Thoughts?" - I do think it's important that we are baptized as an adult, not as an infant.  It needs to be my decision to follow God, not someone's decision on my behalf.  On the second issue, it cannot be that baptism is required to be saved because that makes salvation into something that happens by grace. . . and my works.  Being baptized is a matter of obedience, but not a matter of salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment