It's Day 25 and we're in Jonah 1.
Where God Spoke To Me:
- Verse 3 - Why did Jonah run away? Because the Ninevehites were enemies of Israel and he didn't want to go preach to them and give them the chance for mercy. It's sobering to know that God loves everyone - even my enemies.
- Verse 2 - "come up before me" - That means that the accumulated weight of their sin had reached a place where it demanded action. It wasn't that God wasn't paying attention before that or was unaware before that.
- Verse 5 - "asleep" - This could be because he's so exhausted because of the stress of the event or it could be that he is at peace about running away from God and finds sleep easy.
- Verse 7 - "lots" - God obviously doesn't always influence the outcome of such things, but in this situation, He spoke to the sailors through something they could understand.
- Verses 8-10 - They believed in provincial gods - gods that had a limited scope of power. When they heard Jonah say that his God was the God of the sea, they knew why the storm had happened.
If you want to read the chapter online, here's a link.
If you have a question or comment, email me at email@example.com.
- "Proverbs 4:23 is (arguably) my favorite Proverb. ESV has it "keep your heart with all vigilance...". In my humble opinion, striving for a compassionate heart through good and bad. When we think we have it figured out and when we have nothing figured out, striving for one's heart springs life. In a very real sense, the enjoyment of it."